Monday, November 26, 2012


Dear Family, Friends, and whoever magically got this email,


What's up?
How's life.
I don't always feel like I know whats going on back home. Maybe thats normal. But whatev's.


Alright.
Lets get down to business.

Last weeks letter was kind of lame, mostly because I was pressed for time, and P-days seem to stress me out more then any other day. (I don't know how that works, but it does haha.) I don't like P-day's sometimes. It gives me too much of a window to be selfish, and focus on myself, and my needs, and my life, and all things 'me." I dislike it. I'm working on that. I wan't to get better. I've been here 5 weeks tomorrow, and I've already had to change a lot about myself. It's not like every missionary is perfect. The second were set apart doesnt mean we've become angelic beings that have no issues or personal struggles! But! I'm working on this.

My last letter was lacking in experiences also, because I forget everything that goes on during the week. Let me tell you why that is.
Each day, feels like it's as long as 2 days.
The first day, starts at 6:30. Wake up, get buff, shower, butcher my face, eat, and then studies begin. Studies go from 8, until about 3pm if nothing comes up in between. So, that feels like a whole day by itself. It's maddness.
Then, at 3, the second day begins.
The sun has already started to set, and usually by the time we have an appointment, its dark out. We harvest from like 3-4, sometimes 5. Then go to all our appointments. 
Each scenario is worlds different then the next. I meet about 30 new people each day, and teach maybe 3-4 people every single day. Each have their own problems, situations, and challenges. So, by the time I get back to our apartment at 9pm, my brain is mush, and I cant really remember what happened 5 hours before.
So, it's crazy. The last 5 hours of the day are always the longest too haha. Not like I look at it that way. It's just the amount of things we do from 5-9pm is a lot, and we don't waste time anywhere, so it feels like more time has passed then actually has.

Some of the highlights of my week were going to the beach to play some soccer!
We're not allowed on the "beach" beach. But we were on the other side of a divider, it it's all good. Obedience is key.

Elder Hoole and I got to give blessings to a few people. All very powerful experiences.
We taught a girl named Tosha, and near the end of a lesson, she asked us to give her a "Pslam" of comfort. (I didn't quite understand what that was, but got the idea she was trying to convey.) told us she's been suffering from some pretty awful nightmares, that pretty much make it hard for her to sleep/live. I know what thats like... SO! Without hesitation I asked her if she would like a blessing. (It was our first time sitting down and teaching her, so she didn't understand  about the Priesthood, or blessings at all. But that's fine.) We gave her a blessing right at her door step. (We're not allowed to go in to a home with a woman, unless a boy 12+ is home. It's for respect to women.) We checked up on her a few days later. She hasnt had any more bad dreams. Has been sleeping better, and her whole countenance has changed. She's happier. We've seen her everyday since then. And she's got a date to be baptized on the 9th.
Powerful testimony to me of the reality of the power of the Priesthood.
It was a simple blessing. 
But it works none the less.

Another awesome experience is we got to pray with a Muslim family. Very cool. Never expected that to happen.

I got to teach the Young Mens/Young Womens class in Sunday yesterday with Elder Hoole! It was the BEST! We went in there to encourage everybody to serve a mission. We opened it up for questions about us, and we got some pretty crazy questions thrown our way. But I got to testify of my love for the work. And for the people we serve.
There were 2 investigators there. A girl named Corolla, that the Spanish Elders in our District are teaching. She asked the majority of the questions. She's golden. She said she'd want to serve a mission in Western Europe! Way cool!
And then our investigator Mancini was there. Quiet as always (He's a 15 year old boy. Reminds me of myself.) He said he'd serve somewhere spanish speaking.
Way cool.
I'll await the day they go out haha.
It'll happen.

We also had interveiws with President this week. (I passed. ((I think...))  haha) I seriously Love President and Sister Anderson.
They are like my replacement Mom and Dad for the next 2 years. They mean the world to me.
They teach me so much in such a short time.
I love that man and his wife, dearly.


1 Thing he told me to tell you. (Family/Any of you that read this) He told me to tell you, that "It's a promise from the Lord, that your family will be blessed for your service Elder." And he told me to tell all of you... "Tell them to write you all the blessings they have received, because you are serving a mission."

So, you all have some homework.
;)

Well, I can't think of much else to write about.
I write in my journal every single night, about what goes on. So, sorry it doesnt always get sent to all of you, but I am keeping a record. I promised to write everyday. Even if its just a sentence. So, in 40 years we can all go back and read it, and laugh at how boyish I am.

That's another thing...
I shouldn't be allowed to write letters!
The most childish and lame side of me seems to come out.

Especially when I write girls.. >_>

Which reminds me!

My goals for my mission: (/Hopes/Things I'd love to do.)
1. Train a new missionary. (Which is almost gaurenteed unless im dumb. We're going to have 170-180 missionaries by next June. (Up from 140 currently.) Maddness.
2. Serve in YSA (Young Single Adult) It means, I'll serve with another missionary specifically to teach people ages 18-30. That would be SO cool! All the Elders joke about serving YSA, because of all the "YSA girls you'd be teaching. "Lock your heart!" all that jazz. Heh, I'd be perfect for the job. I have a natural gift to turn down girls, and lock my heart. Maybe it'll come in handy for once! (Emo.)
3.Baptize and Confirm 15 men, that will become Priesthood Holders. (P.S.! Wager Lucious was ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood yesterday! I love that guy!!)
4. Serve in some form of leadership. I really think I would make a good leader, and help the mission progress. So, I'll work for that.
5. Change. Change myself, and become a better man, priesthood holder, disciple of Christ, and person. The hardest part about the mission, is yourself. YOU get in the way of more things then anything else. The only 1 accountable for your success is YOU. And I have to become better. And I get that chance, to better myself every single day. I work so hard to become better. It's my biggest personal challange right now. Fighting against all the things that might get in the way, of my happiness. I'm having to go down the the deepest darkest, most untouched parts of my soul, and clean up the cobb webbs and re-arrange the furniture. There is opposition in all things though. And It's a struggle. If it ever comes out in my letters, forgive me. I'm working to change. I want to come back home, a new man. A new person. And a better person.
I will be that person.


I love you all so much.
I'm sorry I don't get back in letters very fast.

Brother Ashley, I hope you are well! Forgive me for not writing back yet.

Mike & Esther, I love you. I hope you are well. Thank you for the scrapbook! It's huge!

Dad, before your opperation I demand that you, Lisa, and ALL the kids in the family take family pictures. Nice proffessional ones. If Amy and Deanna refuse, then thats their beef. But I want you all to get a nice family portrait before then, and then send it too me.
Also, Elder Hoole told me to tell you, (dad) to read "Driven" by Larry H. Miller. He went through some similar stuff apperently. And it's one of Elder Hoole's favorite books. read it!
Thats a missionary telling you to do something by the way. Not just your son. (So I think you have to do it. ;) )

Im SO EXCITED FOR TIFFANY!!!!!! YEEEEAAHHHHH!!! CHEF KREYOL!!! I'm sending her a letter ASAP and teaching her some Boss Creole.
So Jealous! When I get back in 2 years She and I will have to hit the streets of Haiti and clean some more kids mouths!


Thank you Kate for the packages! Elder Hoole flipped when he got mail! haha
I love you all so much. I hope things are well at home.

Steph, thanks for forwarding me Souer Johnson's emails! She seems to be doing fantastic.

Any word on Elder Turek? Did China town get the best of him yet?

I know I asked for a ton of stuff, and I'm sorry I'm a greedy kid.
I'll work on that.

But basically, what it boils down too is this.
My needs.
1. Mom, I really want that scrapbook with my farewell pictures in it. I'd love it if you could get that to me :)
2. I really need a GPS. Miami is a madhouse for driving. I know it's expensive, but I'll use it forever. (Don't forget to get the abscure character voices for it haha)
3. I am in desperate need for scripture cases, I asked for 2 while I was still in the MTC, and my scriptures are being demolished in my back pack without them, I need 1 that will fit my Quad, and 1 that will fit my Creole BOM, and Sainte Bible. If I could get those Asap, I'd love you forever. I don't want my scriptures to fall apart..
4. I came up with a new request, that is also expensive, but will last my whole mission. A Voice Recorder. A nice 1, that I can put diferent memory cards into. That would really come in handy for study, and for fun. (Think about that.)
5. CD's. Motab CD's. I really need um! Without music I die. If I could get some of the abscure one's too, that'd be nice! Like when they sing Broadway/Musical stuff. Like President Monsons 85th B-day Celebration! Please!!

6. I seriously need a Finn hat. (Adventure Time)
I would wear it all the time. ALL THE TIME.

"Mathmaticall!!"

I love you all so much!
Thank you for all your support and love.
I hope you're all well.

Don't forget your homework President Anderson gave you!
Don't forget I love you.

And don't forget to write me!
Seriously!
It makes my whole world when I get mail.
I want pictures from every single 1 of you! Weekly! Monthly! Daily! ^_^

So!
Mail me.

It's the happiest day of my life, everyday I wake up and serve.
Almost been here a whole transfer.
Feels like a whole year!
Keep strong.
Keep faithful.

Stay Beautiful.

Dream something beautiful for me...

N'a w'e pita cheri yo.

-Elder Turek
(The most boss missionary Miami has ever seen.)




No comments:

Post a Comment